Mongering at More Markets

In the last few weeks, I've had the opportunity to work at a couple new farmers markets. First, in New York, I switched up from my Union Square experience to help out at the Ft. Greene market in Brooklyn. By the end of the day, I realized that having me start at the Union Square market a few weeks earlier was like having Mr. Miyagi throw Ralph Macchio into a UFC fight on his first day. In contrast to Union Square, Ft. Greene was a walk in the daisies. Thankfully, I was ignorant enough that I didn't know what I was getting into at Union Square. I just took the punches as they came. I fully admit now that starting at Union Square was a great way for me to learn and gain confidence; and perhaps I would have never given myself enough credit to knowingly put myself in such a situation. Maybe that is the best way to teach me...throw me to the wolves.

There were definitely crowds at Ft. Greene, but nothing like the constant flow at Union Square. Even the people at the market were more easy going, and there was plenty of time to chat with the regulars and other customers. Laura, who usually runs that market alone (she's a pro), was great to work with and patiently tutored me on things I still can't help but screw up. All in all it was far less pressure. I'm getting better at eyeballing the cheese and cutting the proper weights. But the tall, thicker blocks are still my nemesis. I blame it on the knives, but nobody else seems to have the same problem of cutting the most crooked, jacked up pieces ever. I suppose I just need more practice.

That following Thursday I went to the West Hartford market. The mid-week Thursday trip made for a very diverse workday. I arrived to help with the morning's cheese pressing and clean up, left to work at the market, and returned in time to help hoop the new batch of cheese. I love a good variety pack.

We were testing the waters in West Hartford. The market there has been around for years, but it was our first trip out there to try to reach the western Connecticut population. Apparently people on one side of the Connecticut River often don't get around to experiencing awesome things "on the other side." With a state as small as Connecticut, I thought that was surprising. I drive halfway across the state just to get the best ice cream ever and twice as far in the opposite direction for the best pizza ever. Then again, I'm a fatty. I suppose when I was in D.C., I would often refuse to make a few extra metro stops to go out in the Virginia suburbs because of the perceived inconvenience. ... Oh wait, no, it was 'cause Arlington sucks.
 
Anyway, the market was set up in a parking lot between a residential street and the main commercial strip lined with small, well-manicured boutiques. The crowd was much smaller than any of the New York markets, but fairly steady especially around lunch time. The market only runs from 11-3 during the week. There were only about six or seven other vendors, so it was easy to get to know the other farmers and merchants. We were the only cheese vendor there for Thursday. Many of the customers were downright giddy to see a new cheese vendor and promised to tell their friends. Much like Ft. Greene, the West Hartford crowd was much more casual and had more time to be chatty, which helped us give out plenty of samples and reach out to a new customer base.

I went to the West Hartford market with Tim, who I met for the first time and who has recently started to help out with Connecticut markets. He had only worked one or two other markets, so I was put in the unusual position of actually having had more experience. It was a bit odd to be the person directing the intricacies of set-up and clean-up. Tim was very good at selling cheese and comfortable with the cutting etc., and by no means did I know much more than him. But put together, I think we formed 1.25 to 1.33 experienced people. 

My favorite customers were two young kids. Both boys between the age of 8 and 12...who loved them some cheese...including the stanky and the strong stuff! I first made eye contact with their mom, but it was clear that the boys were running the show. It went something like this:

Two kids walk up holding berries from previous stand.
Us: Hey what've you got there?
Older Boy:  Gooseberries
(Me too myself: Gooseberries? That sounds made up. Oh those crazy kids. Nom nom, these Gooseberries taste like Gooseberries and these Snozberries taste like Snozberries.)
After kids politely and very articulately explain what Gooseberries taste like...
Us to kids (and tangentially to mom): Do you guys want to try some cheese?
Boys: Oh yes please, we love cheese!
Us (knowing kids usually like mild cheese): Well we have some of our younger cheeses, including our most popular Brid...
Younger Boy politely interrupting: ...Actually, may we please try the blue cheese
(Me to myself: Say what?! Are these kids messin' with my head? Son, you better not be acting like a hero just to try this and end up puking all over the cases...)
Us:  Wow, ohhhkay, usually young kids don't like blue cheese.  So that's refreshing.
Older Boy: Oh yes, we love it; we grew up on cheese
Mom: Yeah they have weird and often expensive taste for kids; they'll eat steak but not canned tuna fish sandwiches.
(Me to myself: Now that's what I'm talkin bout. Baller eaters and daring foodies...with manners! I want these kids to train any future kids I might have on how to totally rule at life from the get-go.).
Boys to each other after sampling cheese (older boy suddenly very wide-eyed like he just walked into a candy store): MMMM that's so good! That has a great aftertaste! Kinda earthy. Well all cheese has great aftertaste though.
Me to myself: Seriously, are these kids for real?

They walked off with a big hunk of blue, after unsuccessfully trying to talk their mother into also buying a piece of the only other strong cheese we had available (which of course they also loved).

Going forward, this market will likely only be staffed with one person because it's so calm and lightly trafficked. Tim will be the person to regularly fill that role, but on weeks that he can't, I will work the market and drive the cheese van.  Alone. You can be certain that I will be soiling my pants if or when that responsibility is given to me. 

What's that? Do I have pictures of either of these two markets? Umm. Oh hey look more baby cows!

2 comments:

  1. The power of CHEESE compels you... to post more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved SO many parts about this post...the contrast of your inner dialogue with your polite outward demeanor...the awesome baller kids...the baby cows...and of course, the super troopers reference. Well done.

    ReplyDelete