My Two Markets

I've now done two markets on my own! As you might remember a mere few months ago, the prospect of a solo market made me pants-crappingly nervous. But as I had mentioned a few posts back, I was surprisingly calm about the whole affair now. I know much more on how to talk about cheese and I was looking forward to the opportunity to run my own show. The only thing that scares me on the regular is putting up the tent by myself. That thing is unwieldy.

My view at the Chehalis Market
For all the markets we do in Washington and Oregon, the cheese must be pre-cut, priced and vacuum packaged on the farm. The food handling laws and licenses for farmers markets are much more restrictive for vendors who wish to cut cheese at market in these states. I think I'd be just as confident if I had to cut cheese at the market, but it does take a little bit of the franticness out of market day. It also allows for more time to focus on the samples and conversation, and the customers can hand-pick exactly what they want. However, pre-cut pieces take a little bit of the theatrical excitement out of mongering and are somewhat more restrictive for the customer when we start running low. There are definitely pros and cons to both.

I've done both of my solo markets with the outgoing intern for the first few weeks, but now I'm the only staff member left to handle them. The Chehalis market as I mentioned is respectably sized for a blue-collar town. Depending on the weather, the customers usually come steadily in the early afternoon. But in my opinion, the market lasts far too long. It's every Tuesday from 12pm to 5pm. Granted, I've arrived at the end of market season in the Northwest, but the amount of customer traffic does not justify a five-hour market. The last two-and-a-half hours are more like a trickle of customers and pretty excruciatingly slow for the vendors. The crowd is an ecletic mix of residents, primarily families and elderly ladies of varied levels of enthusiasm for being outdoors.

St. Johns market in Portland
The market in Portland, Oregon on Saturdays takes place in the city's St. Johns neighborhood from 9am to 1pm. At St. Johns there are a few more vendors and a much steadier flow of traffic than in Chehalis. It's not as big as the main Portland market (which I assume is more like the Union Square market), but the crowd levels at St. Johns allows time to get to know your regulars (so maybe more like Ft. Greene). The crowd is much wealthier, trendier, and health-conscious than the Chehalis crowd. But both market-goers share an equal love of cheese and fresh products. In Chehalis, there is a pervasive use of questionably tight sweatpants, and in Portland, there is a pervasive use of questionably tight biking shorts. In the end, we're all the same.

One of the great things about both markets is the relationship between all the vendors. The farmers market community in Chehalis was very warm and welcoming. Everyone knew each other, and after every market day, they all meet up with their wares to cook dinner and socialize together. On my first Tuesday in town, it was nice way to be invited into to the community. It also makes the last few slow hours of a five-hour Tuesday go by much quicker when you're around people you enjoy. Even in Portland, the neighboring vendors were very laid-back and fun to work alongside. Forming connections with your fellow vendors is not always a given in the markets I'd witnessed, at least not on the first day. So both markets were a pleasant and refreshing surprise.

Very few markets in the Northwest are year-round. Most wrap up in the early to mid-fall. Portland will be over in a couple weeks and Chehalis winds down in October. This of course, means that I will be mourning the loss of the bread guy next to me in Portland, who has the most addictive baked goods I've ever had. Ever. I don't know what the secret narcotic ingredient is. All I know is that I secretly sing love songs to those breakfast buns and garlic loafs.

No comments:

Post a Comment