Harvest Dinner

Sunday was the annual Chehalis harvest dinner to celebrate the end of market season. There are two more farmers markets left in Chehalis and the weather has treated us kindly as of late. While end of season tends to bring a halt to customer traffic and sales dramatically, I'm always impressed by the relationship the community has with its market and its vendors. Now I'm doubly impressed with the community after the harvest dinner, which had better food and decorations than a lot of weddings I've attended.

Every ingredient in the meal came from one of the market vendors. It was all cooked and catered by one of the local chefs who has a prepared food stand at the market. Fresh produce and meat is delicious in its own right. But this guy works some sort of magic that makes it even more delicious. I don't think I've stuffed my face that hard since I've been out here. At first I was a little apprehensive when I heard the lamb for the lamb moussaka came from Black Sheep Creamery (frozen and stored away after lambing season in the spring). I wasn't around to meet any of the lambs when they were born, but I know their mothers. I've wrestled medicine into their mothers' mouths. I've watched their mothers conceive some of their future siblings. It seemed wrong. But whatever, I'm an omnivore and who am I to say no to delicious food? It was already cooked, so better not let their lives perish in vain. The food was amazing. The local ensemble band of school kids playing celtic music was surprisingly awesome. There was a slideshow with pictures from the farms of all the local vendors. But the best part was the support of the community. There were over 100 people at this dinner, and I can tell you there are definitely not that many vendors. People from the town, including business owners and local officials, had purchased tickets to come enjoy an evening with their favorite food purveyors.

It was a great night of community charm and hardcore eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment